Deflected doubleweave in 10/2 tencel and 74/2 merino. The first metre woven of 10.6 metres as the first of my fabric lengths I intend weaving for my final degree year.
If all my calculations and sampling are correct, this odd-looking flat piece of cloth will magically transform into:
THIS! well, not quite like this because there are 2 different threadings and 4 different liftings on the sample. All going well the finished length will be a little like brains: organic with a lovely balance of lustre from the tencel and felted, matt wool.
Didn’t quite get it finished in 2017 as I’d hoped, but here it is – 4.5metres x 59cm. Really pleased with the overall handle and look of it. A bit too cosy for this time of year but will be great to work with when the weather cools down. The colours didn’t pool as I would have liked in the blue yarn with quite a barber pole effect in places, but probably to be expected over such a long warp. Serendipity!
A snippet of the warp which went on a few days ago – all 6 metres of it! Fine 2 ply variegated wool warp tied up for an 8 shaft satin weave. Haven’t woven satin weave structure before so thought I’d better sample it before I get too far. Very interesting – sturdy but retaining a nice handle and feel – it will make a fantastic structured, shaped jacket – just not entirely sure about the stripes. Yarn is very sticky too so am going to have to go very slowly and keep an eye out for skips. Would like to get this length finished over the study break – thank goodness I have until February!
So it’s been 5 months since I posted the beginnings of the Byzantine era but it is now complete and I’m really pleased with it. Just over 5 metres of fabric with a beautiful handle and the colours really glow. I managed 3 lengths of fabric (just) during my 2nd year at Wintec – can I do 4 next year? I would still love to feature my handwoven fabric in my final runway show this time next year, just not sure if the workload will let me weave as well as study. No harm in giving it a go!
Waiting for a sunny day to take a photo of the latest warp, but that isn’t going to happen any time soon! So here it is – warp number 3 for 2017 – 6 metres of variegated wool in a 1/3 twill threading with a few thin stripes of 3/1 to give a contrast (along with a nice effect on the underside). Another fabric length to add to my stash with enough to do a jacket with a peplum – I can actually picture this one’s design, so hopefully it lives up to expectations.
Just realised I hadn’t posted a final picture of the first fabric for 2017 – this has a beautiful, springy, bouncy feel and will look great in a snug waistcoast or jacket for the cooler months.
Very happy with the second fabric length off the loom this year – I know it doesn’t sound much, but it’s part of my 2017 commitment to keep weaving while I’m studying fulltime – and it’s working! The 1/3, 3/1 twill structure has given a length of fabric with 2 different faces which gives possibilities for matching cuffs or collar or even panels. I added a fine boucle yarn in areas in the warp, but in hindsight I should have just kept it with the straight wool, as the texture doesn’t show enough to be worth the problems it gave me.